Saturday 15 November 2014

Half a Control Panel

Having a taken a look around the different common control panel layouts (http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html) and feeling confused and overwhelmed, here's what I have decided upon for layout;


Although I might be going against convention I've decided on a left hand and a right hand control since although I'm right handed I prefer joystick control either left or right depending on the game - For most commodore games I'm used to right hand control, whereas Sega and Nintendo joyspads had directional control on the left, so it's a kind of best of both worlds.

I measured out the positions on the MDF by re-creating the lines shown in the diagram with a ruler and pencil.  I pre-drilled the holes with  a small wood drill bit.  Using a 28mm spade bit and a borrowed drill I have so far cut six button holes and one joystick hole.  It's kind of pain in backside job which takes more time than you expect.  I called it a day for tonight as the battery on the drill was low anyhow.  Due to the thickness of the wood the joysticks are shortened by quite  a bit but it's easier to mount them neatly under the control than it is above the control panel.  If it becomes an issue I'll simply add joystick shaft extenders.






Don't forget to subscribe and comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment