Saturday 25 October 2014

Construction Begins!

When I originally cut the cab sides I had the intention of priming each piece of MDF before even thinking of piecing the cab together, however I changed my mind on this because;

  • I'm impatient
  • The plan's don't fit exactly (floor!)
  • It will be easier/quicker to prime it all in one go
I bought 4 x 3 meters lengths of 4x4 pine to use as batons and have made a start now piecing things together.  The MDF screws from eBay turned out to be junk so have now gone with drywall screws from B&Q.  For each screw on an outside surface I pre-drilled and then used a counter sink tool to ensure that the head of screw will sit below the surface.  The idea is then to fill these holes and sand over them.

The surface of the mdf has several imperfections after being moved around, drilled and cut, I've decided to complete the actual build and then smooth these out.

I cut the speaker board using a rotary saw piece and found two things out;
  • Make sure to drill in the hole you premarked if you want the holes to align (see pic :-( )
  • Second hand drills people gift you can be dangerous
I have a few ideas to sort the misaligned speaker holes but will leave that for now.

I've also started to think about how I've go to mount the monitor.





No comments:

Post a Comment